As the holiday of light is fast approaching, we are all starting to get ready and prepare a menu with our most traditional Hannukah dishes. Below, you will be able to find our most favored recipes for the holidays.
You may begin your meal with some basic, quick, and simple potato latkes. This dish should take you 30-60 minutes to prepare. Ingredients will include;
- 4 medium peeled potatoes
- 1 large, peeled onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons flour
Full Instructions on how to prepare the most delicious latkes can be found Here .
We recommend serving this dish with a few fresh salads. This will add some colour and enhance the look of your holiday table.
On the center of your table, you may include the following delicious roasted chicken recipe;
- Kosher salt
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Splash of dry white wine (about 1/2 cup)
- Sumac or paprika
- 1 leek washed well and sliced into rounds
- 1 head fennel, fronds included, sliced lengthways, and chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 parsnip, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet potato or yam with skin on, coarsely chopped
- 3 potatoes with their skin on, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic–cloves separated, peeled, and bruised
- 1 whole roasted chicken (about 1lb per person)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, washed. Pull leaves off 5 stems
- 2 lemons–1 quartered and 1 sliced thinly into rounds
Further directions are available Here.
It is recommended to include any type of side your guests will like. This may include; cuscus, honey roasted carrots, potatoes, rice, etc…
There is no delicious meal without a dessert. To impress your guests with the best sufganiyot you may consider preparing your own. This should take no longer than an hour and 30 minutes to prepare. Ingredients will include;
- 2 tablespoons of bread machine yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk/water
- 1/3 cup oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs AND 2 egg yolks
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ cups of jelly for filling (recommended; strawberry/ raspberry)
- Oil for frying
- Granulated superfine sugar
Check out this website for more details on how to prepare your own, delicious homemade sufganiyot.
At the end of the meal, you may consider treating the kids with some chocolate – Hannukah gelts.
The JRCC Kosher Food Bank wants to make sure all members of our community have enough food to celebrate. If you and your family are in need of food, we can help! Contact us at 416-222-7105, ext. 293